TravelCrazed Artisan

an online journal of photography and writings from the visual and verbal eye of Blake J. Nolan.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

BJNart - Memo: Please Be Advised, There Is No Complaint Department Available

Yea, so here I am in Mozambique. "Mozambique you say!?!" Yes. Mozambique. What a ride this place they call Africa has been thus far. Oh the stories I can tell. Well, if I had the time that is. This is in fact the first time I have been able to get on a functional computer in some time now, so I will take this opportunity to say that life is grand. Oh how sweet it is.

So, listen to this. I met this guy, Graham, when I went out to dinner my second night in Swaziland that manages this hotel (or so he said) in Swazi. So as my days in Swazi were coming to an end, I decided to give him a call before heading back
to South Africa (boooo kinda...not that impressed with it cause of all the crime and rape and whatnot...not impressed is an understatement I guess you could say.) He had told me a good hotel manager would never turn someone down if they had empty rooms, no matter the price. So I figured I would call him and offer him 100 Rand (ten pounds) and see what he says. He ends up telling me to come down to the Royal Swazi Villas and he has a room waiting for me, no questions asked! Without me even offering any money at all! Amazing. So, he proceeds to send a car for me, and before I know it I am staying in the King´s suite, in the largest villa on the property, all to myself, sleeping in the same bed, I might add, that the King of Zulu sleeps in when he visits Swazi. This is in fact that largest hotel resort in Swazi...owned by the King of Swaziland. It isn´t a hotel by any means though, it is a collection of 6-8000 square foot mansions rented as private villas to the rediculously wealthly or royalty. This was fucking unbelievable to say the least. And yes, I did have a bath robe and jet power jacuzzi in my bathroom. Fresh fruit you ask? Yes. That too of course. Silly of you to even ask, don´t you think?

Apparently, he told the owners I was the son of the president of the world bank, and that I was a major potential business opportunity...needless to say, everyone was very nice to me. Sorry pops, I guess the son on the President on J. M. Nolan Architects just doesn´t have as much pull. I stayed there for 2 nights and then, as if he hadn't already done enough for me....he hooked me up with a Mozambiquen visa and my plans changed sporadically once again. So, here I am, in Mozambique. Crazy shit huh!?! Yea, I would have to say so.

Plans are now to dive with Whale Sharks tomorrow and then do a bit of surfing on the east African coast of the Indian Ocean. This is just one of the many crazy stories to come out of this Motherland experience. As I said, no complaints here.


B

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew, I guess it's better to be late than never. You must be traveling under a lucky star. Who else, except for Trevor, would be in this position. The King and I!!! I can't wait to see your cute face, your beautiful blue eyes and incredible smile. Blake, you amaze me....I am looking forward to your stories. You are making history, especially for the Nolan family.Love you as always, Mom

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew, I guess it's better to be late than never. You must be traveling under a lucky star. Who else, except for Trevor, would be in this position. The King and I!!! I can't wait to see your cute face, your beautiful blue eyes and incredible smile. Blake, you amaze me....I am looking forward to your stories. You are making history, especially for the Nolan family.Love you as always, Mom

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the double entry, not sure how that happened!Mom

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So wait... while you were in the lap of luxury at the King's Suite you couldn't find a phone? It doesn't have wireless internet? Or wired Internet? It must have at least had a phone... :) Get the hint?

I'm glad you are loving life - there is a blizzard in Denver right now and my apartment smells like melted plastic because one of my genius roomates left the stove on HI all night - but surfing in Africa probably isn't all its cracked up to be anyway... right?

Trizzoy

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,
FYI Blake's birthday was April 2. We haven't heard from him since then and can only hope that all is well. He did make his new entry after that so I take that as a good sign!
Becky AKA Blake's Mom

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing. My stories were cool until i heard that. Miss you brotha. Keep up the exploration. Cant wait to see more photos. I need to decorate my office and hopefully a soon a house.

be well.

Dr. Ramstead

12:52 AM  
Blogger Eye On the World said...

blano! abay here!

How in the world did you end up in Mozambique? (ding, "how in the WORLD" get it?).

Anyway, Cameroon and I miss you. They blast our music in my village, its crazy. I am a superstar in town now because of it, wish you were here to bask in the stardom with me. People are still asking about you, some of them think I am you because they cant tell one skinny white guy from the next.

Where the hell are you NOW? I bet you're in Greenland or maybe Uzbekistan, I wouldnt be surprised.

Anyway, since you still havent gotten around to it, I took the time to post some of the pics you took here, for anyone who wants to see them:
photos.yahoo.com/allenbanick3

I miss you buddy,
update!

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blakers and Alan,

We (your Mom Becky and I) are missing you so much, and wondering where in the world (literally) you are ??? We are leaving for Mexico with Aunties Bec and Juls tomorrow morning for a week. We do have access to a computer while we are there (16th thru 23rd of April), so please write back (either of you) and let us know where the Blakers is....we are starting to worry and wonder. Plus, Abay, we tried to find the photos with your address, and got zippity doo dah day. Please submit your correction at your earliest convenience, if not sooner ! Blake, please let us know if you got your Aunties's bday card from Santa Cruz, too, 'cuz we were really hopin' that you did.. We didn't forget to send you a birthday greeting !!

We love, love, love, all you need is love, you...... Write us please in old Mexico, ole !

Love, Mom and Auntie Trishie

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nolan, your ridiculous, good work though. Im glad 3wb is blowing up in africa. I just watched your video and the beats were tight, along with the french. i want to hear the album. send it to me. -sean

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Blake,
Had dinner with Trevor, Marci and her family last night in Palm Springs. Your name came up alot and we wanted you to know we're thinking about you and reading your blog. Life is what you make it, and got to say, Blake, you're makin' it! Can't wait to see you at the wedding! Love, Michelle, Michael and Sarah Kranzoni, toni, boni (as your mom would say)

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey everybody...buy Sean Brennan's new CD "UP" with pictures by Blake Nolan at embercoast.com...excellent!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update! Update! Update!

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ho and then I said Li Smokes

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

internal adsfkjahfa is the best thinskg I ajavd e er seen I a an a

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GROW IT YOURSELF!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home